What if I Lose My Passport and Green Card While Traveling Internationally?

Losing a passport and green card overseas can create significant problems for returning to the United States.

Nobody wants to be in a situation in which they have lost important identifying documents while traveling overseas, and this type of scenario can be especially complicated for a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. who loses a green card and a passport. Losing a passport alone can create a complicated situation, as can losing a green card. If you are a green card holder and are planning to return to the U.S., you will most likely need to resolve your lost passport issue first with your current country of residence, and then you will need to resolve the lost green card issue in order to return to the U.S. lawfully.

While copies of your green card and passport will not count as original documents for travel purposes, having copies can expedite the processes you will need to go through. As such, you should always make copies of your green card and your passport before traveling. Our Tennessee immigration attorneys can provide you with more information.

Resolving a Lost Passport

You will need your passport to obtain documentation to enter the United States if you have lost your passport and green card. Accordingly, you will likely need to resolve the missing passport issue first. You will need to locate the nearest embassy for the country that issued your passport and follow all requirements to replace the passport.

What to Do About a Lost or Stolen Green Card

Then, if you are traveling abroad and have your green card lost or stolen, you will need to visit the closest U.S. Consulate or U.S. Embassy in order to apply for something known as a “boarding foil.” To be clear, you will not be able to have your green card (also known as your Lawful Permanent Resident Card, or LPR Card), replaced by the U.S. Consulate or U.S. Embassy. Only U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) can issue a replacement green card, and you will need to do that as soon as you have returned to the United States.

If you have not been out of the United States for more than 365 consecutive days, you will likely be able to request a boarding foil to come back into the United States. You will need to file Form I-131A at the U.S. Consulate or U.S. Embassy in order to obtain the travel documentation you need to board the airline (or other vessel) to return to the United States. If there is a USCIS international field office, you can also apply there. You will need to apply for the boarding foil in person, and you will need to pay a filing fee of $575.

In addition, you will need a list of documents, including your original passport, as we noted above. Accordingly, if your passport has also been lost or stolen, you will likely need to resolve your passport issue first.

Contact a Tennessee Immigration Attorney for Help

If you are a lawful permanent resident traveling abroad and you have lost both your green card and your passport, one of our Tennessee immigration attorneys can speak with you today about options. Contact Ozment Law, PLC today to get help.