If you want to obtain a visa to work in Tennessee as a foreign national, the process can take some time. Below, our Nashville immigration lawyer explains how long you may have to wait.

Individuals who wish to live and work in the United States can obtain a work visa to enter the country, but doing so is not easy, nor is it always quick. To ensure you receive your work visa as soon as possible, it is essential to know which type of visa is most appropriate for you, and what is required of you when going through the process.

How Long Does it Take to Get Different Types of Visas?

Generally speaking, it will take approximately two to seven months for the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to process an application for a work visa. The time it will take to receive your work visa will largely depend on the type of visa you are applying for. Still, there are extensive backlogs on these visas, and it is never possible to determine exactly how long it will take to receive any type of work visa. The following are some of the average processing times for some of the most common types of U.S. work visas:

  • E-2 visas: It usually takes between four to six weeks to process an application for an E-2 visa. The total amount of time it takes will depend on the current caseload of the USCIS or the U.S. Embassy.
  • H-1B visas: Typically, processing an H-1B visa application will take anywhere from three to six months. The processing times can widely vary, so it is important to check with the USCIS or the. U.S. State Department for updates.
  • L-1 visas: L-1 work visas usually have a waiting period of three to four months. Still, you do have an option to request rapid processing times, in which you can receive a response more quickly, usually within one to three weeks.
  • O-visas: O-visas usually take between two to three months before applicants receive a response. When applying for this type of work visa, there is also an option to expedite this process for an additional fee.

What is the Process of Obtaining a Work Visa?

Before obtaining a work visa, an employer within the United States usually has to sponsor you, although there are some limited exceptions to this. The employer you wish to enter the U.S. to work for must petition the USCIS, who will then review the application. If the petition is approved, you can then visit the U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country to obtain your work visa.

Our Immigration Lawyer in Nashville Can Help You Through the Process

If you wish to enter the United States to work, our Nashville immigration lawyer at Ozment Law, PLC can help you obtain the visa that will help you do it. Call us now at 615-321-8888 or contact us online to schedule a consultation so we can review your case.

We Want You To Be Able To Share In The American Dream