Visas for Children

If you live in the United States and want to seek a visa for your foreign-born children, the experienced immigration attorneys at Ozment Law, PLC, can assist you in understanding the types of visas available for children and the child visa process.

Traveling to the United States as a non-citizen can be a complicated process; all those who enter the United States, whether to travel or to live, require a visa to enter the country legally. For those who are traveling with children, the process can be especially complex. At Ozment Law, PLC, our Nashville, TN, visa and immigration attorneys can guide you through the process of obtaining visas for your children. Please contact us today to learn more about how we can help.

Bringing Children to Live in the United States

Those who live in the United States currently, or who are hoping to live in the U.S. and are parents, often wish to bring their children with them. If you are intending to bring your children to live as permanent residents within the United States, you must follow the visa and immigration process set forth by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). According to the website of USCIS, if you are a U.S. citizen, children who qualify for entry into the U.S. include:

If you are a permanent resident who holds a green card, but you are not a U.S. citizen, you can petition to bring your child to the United States if:

In order to successfully obtain a family-based permanent residence green card for your children, you will need to present a host of evidence, including evidence of your U.S. citizenship or green card status, proof of your child’s name, proof of your child’s relationship to you, and a completed copy of the I-130 Petition for Alien Resident form. You will also need to pay the required fee. Children born out of wedlock or who were adopted face additional challenges.

Working with a Qualified Immigration Lawyer Can Help

The immigration process can be confusing; there are dozens of forms to fill out and documents to gather, and a small mistake could serve as an expensive and time-consuming setback. A qualified immigration attorney will have a developed knowledge of the immigration process, what type of visa your child needs to apply for, and the evidence, documentation, and forms that will be required. An attorney can handle all paperwork on your behalf and ensure that your application contains no errors.

To schedule a consultation with an attorney from Ozment Law, PLC to discuss a visa for your child, please call our law firm directly or send us a message.