Spouse Visa

The amount of time and the process it takes to obtain a visa for your spouse can be anywhere from six months to over a year, depending on then circumstances of your case.

There are a variety of situations in which a legal resident or U.S. citizen may wish to obtain a permanent residency in the United States for their spouse. The details involved in your particular case will determine the amount of time it takes to complete the process. In addition to submitting the appropriate documents and getting your request approved, there are always issues which could extend the wait time further. The following provides a general outline of what you can expect, but it is important to seek guidance from an experienced immigration law attorney. This can help avoid problems and the potential for frustratingly long delays that keep you apart from your spouse.

Timeframes for Getting a Visa for Your Spouse

The U.S. Department of State advises that in order to obtain an immigrant visa for your spouse, you must be a lawful permanent resident (a green card holder) or a U.S. citizen. For immigration purposes, a spouse is considered as someone to whom you are lawfully wed and with whom you intend to build a life. Immigration officials are vigilant in screening to ensure these laws are not abused and that a marriage is not for the sole purpose of obtaining immigration benefits or fraud.

The process begins with filing a Petition for Alien Relative, Form I-130. This form must be approved before you may apply for an immigrant visa for your spouse. Approval times can take anywhere between four months to a year. After that, any additional amount of time you are required to wait depends on your situation:

You may also be entitled to obtain a visa for someone you intend to marry. Generally, a fiancé visa will take an additional four to six months beyond the above time-frames.

You can Trust Our Nashville Immigration Attorneys

Ozment Law, PLC, is your trusted source for legal guidance in immigration matters. Find out how we can help you avoid needless delays and longer wait times when obtaining a visa for your spouse. Call or contact our Nashville immigration attorneys online today and request a confidential consultation.