Let Our Attorneys Work To Help Your Business Obtain Work Visas For Foreign Employees

As an employer, you want to get the best employees for your business. Sometimes, those candidates are from a foreign country and require employment visas to be able to work for you legally.

We can assist you with these and other business-related visas:

  • H-1B Visa: An employer can sponsor a foreign professional in a specific occupation that it requires as part of operations. H-1B visas are good for three years and can be extended another three years.
  • H-2A Visa: For foreign workers in temporary positions doing agricultural work.
  • H-2B Visa: For foreign workers in temporary positions doing nonagricultural work.
  • L-1 Visa: Allows foreign workers temporary entrance and permission to work in managerial positions or as “specialized knowledge” employees. The foreign worker can apply for legal permanent residence and a green card at a later date.
  • O-1 Visa: For individuals with extraordinary abilities and skills in fields such as arts, education, science, business, athletics, film and television. This temporary work visa will allow the individual to work in the United States for the duration of the project.
  • P-1, P-2 and P-3 Visas: Allow entertainers, artists and athletes to participate in their various fields, be part of cultural exchange programs with the United States or participate in “culturally unique” programs.
  • R-1 Visa: For religious workers who wish to come to the United States on a temporary basis to work for a nonprofit religious organization.
  • E-1 Visa: The Treaty Trader visa allows companies and individuals to work and stay in the United States indefinitely to develop their trade and investment. 50 percent of the visa holder’s trade must be with the U.S.
  • E-2 Visa: The investment visa is designed to encourage development and investment in the United States. Investors must have at least $50,000 to put toward their investment in the United States but can come and go from the country as they please.
  • PERM: Program Electronic Review Management (PERM) program allows employers to demonstrate a shortage of American workers in order to bring over foreign workers, on a permanent, full-time basis. The employees and their families may qualify for permanent residence or a “green card.”

Frequently Asked Questions about Work Visas for Foreign Employees

We often hear the following questions from our clients. If you have questions in addition to the ones listed below, please feel free to reach out to our law firm directly.

  • How long does it take to get a work visa? How long it takes to get the visa that you are applying for depends on many factors, including the type of visa you are applying for and the strength of your application; if there are errors or anything is missing, this can delay the process. Also keep in mind that in many cases, your employer will need to file the I-129 petition—which could delay the process if they are not prepared. For some visas, you can expedite the process. In fact, for H-1B visas, you can cut the processing time down to just 15 days.
  • What does “specialty occupation” really mean? Some work visas are only for specialty occupations. A specialty occupation is a job that:
    • Requires at least a bachelor’s degree level of education
    • Is complex enough that it cannot be performed by someone who does not have at least this level of qualification
    • An employer in the hiring process for this job typically requires a degree or equivalent for the specific position
  • When can I file my H-1B visa? An H-1B visa is one of the most common visa types for foreign workers. Unfortunately, however, this visa is cap-regulated, so there are only certain times when employers can submit applications for visas on the behalf of their employees. The window for applications will open in April and remain open for seven days, unless 85,000 applications have not yet been collected, in which case it will remain open until this number is reached.
  • What types of processing fees will I need to pay? Paying for a visa application can be expensive. You may have to pay a basic filing fee, a registration fee, consular fees, and more. If you are working with an attorney, be sure to speak with your attorney about what fees to expect along the way.

The Role of an Immigration Attorney in Helping You Secure a Work Visa as a Foreign Employee

Applying for a visa can feel like an overwhelming process to someone who is not familiar with the legal immigration system, does not speak the language, and is seeking a work visa for the first time. When you choose Ozment Law, PLC for representation, you can count on us to:

  • Explain the different types of employment visas available and make an informed recommendation about which one is most appropriate for your case.
  • Handle the process of preparing and filing your visa application.
  • Obtain the documentation that you need for a strong visa application.
  • Explain to you any fees that will be part of the application process.
  • Defend your application if it is challenged.
  • Speak with your employer to ensure that they are filing all of the necessary paperwork on their side.
  • Provide you with legal guidance and support throughout the entire process.

Ozment Law, PLC can help you obtain the documentation you need for your foreign-born employees. This helps them acquire temporary (or permanent, depending on the situation) legal status so they can stay in the United States while working for you, and ensures that your company is in compliance with Tennessee and federal employment laws. We guide you and your potential employee through the entire process, assisting with the gathering of documentation and filing the application for you.

Our lawyers have filed hundreds of legal permanent resident applications on behalf of employers in Nashville, throughout Middle Tennessee and across the country. We have the experience and knowledge required to help you grow your company with foreign workers or bring people of extraordinary abilities, such as musicians, artists and scientists, to the U.S. to participate in your programs.

Let Us Handle The Paperwork For Your Foreign Workers

Call us at 615-321-8888 or send us an email to schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys. Hablamos español.

We Want You To Be Able To Share In The American Dream