Immigration Law Archives

What to expect during an immigration interview

Oftentimes those who are are seeking a visa, residency or citizenship will be called into the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) offices for an interview before their application is approved. This is often done so that they can better gauge whether you are who you profess to be on your application. They also do this to discuss any issues with you that may prevent your application from being approved.

Open Letter: Thank You, Tenn. Attorney General Herb Slatery, for Rescinding DACA Lawsuit Threat

Our founding attorney Elliott Ozment wrote an open letter to Tennessee Attorney General Herb Slatery regarding his decision to remove Tennessee from the threatened lawsuit on Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). The Tennessean newspaper published Mr. Ozment's op-ed on Sept. 18, 2017.

Ozment Law featured on News Channel 5 discussing DACA

ozment_1504669607727_65708392_ver1.0_640_480.jpgOur office in Nashville has received numerous calls from concerned clients and community members concerning the future of DACA and what to do. News Channel 5 in Nashville interviewed Mr. Ozment on Tuesday, and Mr. Ozment addressed common questions callers have asked:

Where are most U.S. immigrants from?

In the early 2000s, most immigrants to the United States were simply arriving over the border from Mexico. That idea is still ingrained in many people's minds, leading them to think that the majority of immigration comes from the United States' southern neighbor. While immigration from Mexico is still popular, it's important to note that it's no longer the majority.

Elliott Ozment gives additional testimony to Civil Rights Commission on civil asset forfeiture

Ozment Law founder and managing attorney Elliott Ozment recently testified in proceedings of the U.S. Civil Rights Commission on the discriminatory enforcement and negative consequences of civil asset forfeiture, a program that allows police to steal a person's property without charging the person with a crime.

Applying for asylum

In order to get asylum granted in the United States, you must be in the process of arriving or physically present within the United States. Applying for asylum in the United States can be done through filling in Form I-589. This form must be handed in to a Service Center no later than one year after your arrival into the country. It is also possible to be granted at the port of entry to the country, whether it's a seaport, airport or the border between other countries.

1214 Murfreesboro Pike Nashville, TN 37217 Phone: 615-321-8888 Fax: 615-321-5230 Nashville Law Office Map

Review Us