April 2017 Archives

Are "sanctuary cities" defying federal immigration policies?

As federal law, immigration policies typically supersede local or state practices. However, some of the more controversial immigration requirements have resulted in so-called “sanctuary cities:” municipalities that may not be enforcing one or more federal immigration mandates.

Tennessee immigrant's case to be heard by the U.S. Supreme Court

It may surprise readers to learn that a Tennessee immigration case, Lee v. U.S., has made it all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court. At issue is whether an immigrant from South Korea is properly facing deportation charges after pleading guilty to an alleged drug crime. The man, who is a legal resident, claims that his lawyer incorrectly advised him that accepting the plea agreement would not put him at risk for deportation.

How to get a student visa

Foreign citizens who wish to study in the United States must go through a process to obtain a visa to be able to enter the U.S. Most students need an F-1 visa to go to a college or university, high school or a language training program. There is also an M-1 visa for vocational programs or other nonacademic programs. The process for each visa is similar, and it will take time, so learn the steps to take and what paperwork you should prepare.

1214 Murfreesboro Pike Nashville, TN 37217 Phone: 615-321-8888 Fax: 615-321-5230 Nashville Law Office Map

Review Us